Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog #3

a. How would you describe your teaching style (i.e. how would your classroom run)? 


I believe that students learn best when they are comfortable. I hope to have a warming yet fun environment for my students. I want my students to want to learn rather than have to! With my experience in level 2 so far I have noticed that my students like to tell stories whether it be about themselves or someone else. It is great to let them share and relate to them. I want my students to participate in the class rather than be called on. I want to have a positive behavior chart rather than a negative one. I hope to point out the positive things that students are doing rather than making them change their card for something bad. Also I want parents to be involved in my classroom as much as possible. I know this can be either really difficult or really easy but I think it is great when the parents are involved. It also makes the environment of school more welcoming by having visitors. 


b. Are you more authoritative and teacher centered or collaborative and student centered? Why?

I like to say that I am a little bit of everything! I love having student-centered teaching because it is fun and allows students to teach their peers but this is not always best for every lesson. It is important that we do not have the students run the classroom. My internship teacher now is very teacher centered. Although she does allow the students to teach one another at times she is mostly the authoritative figure in the classroom. I think that it is important to be both teacher and student centered because it is beneficial to the students to learn from not only their teacher but one another.


c. What types of routines will you establish in your classroom?

I really enjoy how my internship teacher now has many routines. Students come in to the classroom in the morning, hand in their homework and planners, and then start their morning work. This is really helpful because the students usually do a fun activity in the morning to get their brains working until the bell rings. To go to the bathroom the students raise their hand with two fingers up and to get a drink they do the same but with one finger. This is really a great way to not disrupt the class. Students are never allowed to get up to sharpen pencils they start out with about 10 in a basket at their groups and during planning and lunch my teacher replenishes them. To line up at the door the students are called by group by whoever is ready first. For the most part they are all simple routines that the students follow. I hope that my class can follow routines similar to these in order to not disrupt the class from learning to simply sharpen a pencil or go to the bathroom.


d. How will they be useful in creating a positive and productive learning environment?


Routines are great for the students because it allows them to have guidelines of what they are supposed to do. It also helps them to set up routines for other things that they do at home such as playing, homework, and even getting ready in the morning. Routines help the classroom to be a little less hectic and have students be aware of most questions they would ask that aren't content related.


No comments:

Post a Comment